Current:Home > ScamsSafeX Pro Exchange|Tropical Storm Ernesto batters northeast Caribbean and aims at Puerto Rico as it strengthens -Blueprint Money Mastery
SafeX Pro Exchange|Tropical Storm Ernesto batters northeast Caribbean and aims at Puerto Rico as it strengthens
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 17:00:02
SAN JUAN,SafeX Pro Exchange Puerto Rico (AP) — Tropical Storm Ernesto battered the northeast Caribbean on Tuesday as it took aim at Puerto Rico, where officials closed schools, opened shelters and moved dozens of the U.S. territory’s endangered parrots into hurricane-proof rooms.
Ernesto is expected to become a hurricane late Tuesday as the center of the storm moves just northeast of Puerto Rico on a path toward Bermuda. Forecasters issued a hurricane watch for the U.S. and British Virgin Islands as well as the tiny Puerto Rican islands of Vieques and Culebra, which are popular with tourists.
“Since there is some chance of Ernesto becoming a hurricane while it is near the Virgin Islands, a hurricane watch remains in effect,” the U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami said. Tropical storm warnings were in place for Puerto Rico, St. Kitts, Nevis, Anguilla, St. Martin, St. Barts and St. Maarten.
The storm’s center is expected to pass over the U.S. Virgin Islands on Tuesday evening and pass just northeast and north of Puerto Rico late Tuesday and early Wednesday. It is then expected to move into open waters and be near Bermuda on Friday.
Heavy rains began pelting Puerto Rico, and strong winds churned the ocean into a milky turquoise as people rushed to finish securing homes and businesses.
“I’m hoping it will go away quickly,” said José Rodríguez, 36, as he climbed on the roof of his uncle’s wooden shack in the Afro-Caribbean community of Piñones on Puerto Rico’s north coast to secure the business famous for its fried street food.
Ernesto was about 65 miles (105 kilometers) east-southeast of St. Thomas late Tuesday afternoon. It had maximum sustained winds of 60 mph (95 kph) and was moving west-northwest at 18 mph (30 kph).
“We are going to have a lot of rain,” Puerto Rico Gov. Pedro Pierluisi said as he urged people to be indoors by early Tuesday evening.
He activated the National Guard as crews across the island visited flood-prone areas and older residents as part of last-minute preparations. Meanwhile, Department of Natural Resources officials who work at breeding centers for the island’s only remaining native parrot, the Puerto Rico Amazon, moved them indoors.
Ernesto Rodríguez with the National Weather Service warned that the storm’s trajectory could change as it approaches Puerto Rico.
“We should not lower our guard,” he said.
As intermittent rain pelted Puerto Rico’s northeast, residents in Piñones tried to squeeze in a couple more hours of work.
María Abreu, 25, prepared fried pastries stuffed with shrimp, crab, chicken and even iguana meat as she waited for customers.
“They always come. They buy them in case the power goes out,” she said.
Down the road, Juan Pizarro, 65, picked nearly 100 coconuts from palm trees swaying in the strong breeze. He had already secured his house.
“I’m ready for anything,” he said.
Forecasters have warned of waves of up to 20 feet (six meters), widespread flooding and possible landslides, with six to eight inches (15-20 centimeters) of rain forecast for Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and up to 10 inches (25 centimeters) in isolated areas. Puerto Rico has six reservoirs that already were overflowing before the storm.
Officials in Puerto Rico warned of widespread power outages given the crumbling electric grid, which crews are still repairing after Hurricane Maria razed it in September 2017 as a Category 4 storm.
Juan Saca, president of Luma Energy, a private company that operates the transmission and distribution of power in Puerto Rico, urged people to report blackouts: “Puerto Rico’s electrical system is not sufficiently modernized to detect power outages.”
Outages also were a concern in the neighboring U.S. Virgin Islands for similar reasons, with blackouts reported on St. Thomas and St. John on Monday.
“Don’t sleep on this,” said U.S. Virgin Islands Gov. Albert Bryan Jr., whose administration announced early Tuesday that it was closing all schools.
The U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency echoed those warnings, saying residents in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands “should be prepared for extended power outages.”
Early Tuesday, Ernesto drenched the French Caribbean island of Guadeloupe, where officials closed several main roads and warned that the quality of potable water would be affected for several days. Meanwhile, the storm downed a couple of trees in Antigua, and knocked out power to most of the island. Ernesto also forced the cancellation of dozens of flights to and from Puerto Rico.
Ernesto is the fifth named storm of this year’s Atlantic hurricane season.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has predicted an above-average Atlantic hurricane season this year because of record warm ocean temperatures. It forecast 17 to 25 named storms, with four to seven major hurricanes of Category 3 or higher.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- NHL predictions for 2024-25 season: Who will win Stanley Cup, top awards?
- Heartbreak across 6 states: Here are some who lost lives in Hurricane Helene
- TikTok personality ‘Mr. Prada’ charged in the killing of a Louisiana therapist
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- 'A Different Man' review: Sebastian Stan stuns in darkly funny take on identity
- These Designer Michael Kors Handbags Are All Under $100 & Been Quietly Put on Sale With an Extra 20% Off
- What NFL game is on today? Buccaneers at Falcons on Thursday Night Football
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- DPR members talk Dream Reborn tour, performing: 'You realize it's not just about you'
Ranking
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Casey, McCormick to meet for first debate in Pennsylvania’s battleground Senate race
- Officer saves missing 3-year-old child from potential drowning: Video captures dramatic rescue
- I Live In a 300 Sq. Ft Apartment and These Amazon Finds Helped My Space Feel Like a Home
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Tina Knowles Details Protecting Beyoncé and Solange Knowles During Rise to Fame
- Kaine and Cao face off in only debate of campaign for US Senate seat from Virginia
- How Black leaders in New York are grappling with Eric Adams and representation
Recommendation
South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
How Dax Shepard Reacted to Wife Kristen Bell's Steamy Scenes With Adam Brody in Nobody Wants This
New Vegas residency will celebrate the 'crazy train called Mötley Crüe,' Nikki Sixx says
Indiana man sentenced for neglect after rat attack on his infant son
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
'A Different Man' review: Sebastian Stan stuns in darkly funny take on identity
Massachusetts governor puts new gun law into effect immediately
Bank of America customers report account outages, some seeing balances of $0